Bangladesh Trade and Investment Program
The Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands (EKN) in Dhaka, within its scope of economic diplomacy, has partnered with Nyenrode Business Universiteit in order to stimulate economic relations between the Netherlands and Bangladesh. Strategic aim of the Embassy is to strengthen bilateral commercial ties in a responsible manner and support the improvement of the Bangladeshi business environment with a spill-over effect that improves the lives of the poor.
The program will have a positive impact on the volume of new trade relations, the volume of follow-up investments, employment generated (specifically employment of women), innovation and the provision of widespread general economic information.
The foundation lies in the realization that business can contribute to development through its core business (i.e. the way it manages its employees, its operations and supply chain, as well as the products and services it produces) and through social investment in the communities and regions in which it operates.
Four priority sectors have been identified:
- IT, with a special focus on outsourcing activities
Synergy with development cooperation
To ensure synergy in the ‘from aid to trade’ transition the Nyenrode program ties into the Dutch development cooperation focus, linking the Embassy’s development cooperation activities to private sector partnerships. By combining development and private sector efforts in these growth areas impact will hopefully be magnified, creating mutually beneficial results for both private sector development as well as private business interests.
Summary of activities
- Nyenrode will analyze developments in the Bangladeshi economy, local investment climate, trade and economic policies and trends in markets of potential interest to the Dutch business community through sector studies.
- MBA student thesis research contributes to the sector analysis.
- Results are used to identify opportunities for Dutch - Bangladeshi cooperation and presented to both business communities through sector meetings and a designated communications strategy (Holland and Bangladesh branding).
- In the areas of identified opportunity both business communities will be proactively approached and brought together through matchmaking activities (sector meetings as well as through trade missions) in order to facilitate trade and investment activities.